I love pickling spice. It’s great in pickles, both fermented and pickled. It’s also nice to run through the spice mill and grind into a fine powder, which can be sprinkled over things or stirred into sauces. I don’t like buying the pre-made little jars at the supermarket because I think they’ve been there for a long time. I don’t think there’s much turnover on the little jars because not many people make their own pickles any more.
Solution: make your own! Here’s a recipe that I’ve been using for a while. I think I have the proportions down right now. If you want to make it and you’re missing some of the ingredients, hit the Amazon tabs below the recipe.
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf crumbled
- 1 cinnamon stick 2 inches
- Break up larger pieces of bay leaves, cloves, and cinnamon stick.
- Stir together and store in a small jar.