Here’s the recipe for Hungarian Mushroom Soup in the Instant Pot. It’s a great use for mushrooms and it features a wonderful creamy broth that’s beautifully colored by the paprika. Yes, this is the same recipe that was published in The Moosewood Cookbook.
I always make this with my homemade sour cream. Always use fresh mushrooms. Wash and dry them well. Fresh mushrooms don’t absorb water. Fill a bowl with cold water and soak the compost off of them. It doesn’t add much to the flavor of the soup!
If you enjoyed the YouTube video, here’s the recipe card for Hungarian Mushroom Soup to print:
Hungarian Mushroom Soup
- Instant Pot
- 12 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 2 cups onions chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1 tablespoon Hungarian paprika
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups stock
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped
- FRESH GROUND BLACK PEPPER
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Saute onions in 2 Tbsp stock, salt lightly. A few minutes later, add mushrooms, 1 tsp dill, 1/2 cup stock or water, soy sauce, and paprika.
- Cover and simmer 15 minutes. Melt butter in large saucepan. Whisk in flour and cook, whisking, a few minutes. Add milk and cook, stirring frequently, over low heat about 10 minutes – until thick.
- Stir in mushroom mixture and remaining stock. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Just before serving, add salt, pepper, lemon juice, sour cream, and, if desired, extra dill (1 tsp). Serve garnished with parsley.