Do you love cranberries but hate that can of red goo that gets plopped out at Thanksgiving? Do yourself a favor and mix up some real cranberry relish! I’ve been serving this for years and wonder why more people don’t.
Excellent replacement for the canned gel
- 2 cups fresh or thawed frozen cranberries
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 large fresh jalapeno chili seeded, finely chopped
- 2 blood or navel oranges peel, pith removed flesh separated into segments juice reserved
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp grated fresh peeled ginger
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 stalks celery cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/4 cup fresh mint coarsely chopped, leaves
- 1/4 cup pecans toasted, coarsely chopped
- Place cranberries in food processor, and pulse to chop coarsely, about five pulses. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Add onion, jalapeno, lime juice, orange sections and juice, ginger, sugar, and celery; mix gently. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 2 days. Just before serving, add mint and pecans, and toss to combine.